Disgust doesn’t even describe it.

Soooooo I’ve just watched the first episode of the US Kath and Kim.  It’s soooooooooooooooooo bad.  It’s so baaaddddddd.  I don’t get it.  Can anyone who is American and watched it tell me if they get it?  Is it true to any facet of American culture?  The original Kath & Kim which I love dearly, to me is very strongly Aussie and that’s what makes it special.

And there’s no Sharon!  Sharon is essential!

Comments

1. Zereen says

The Americans should stick to doing what they do best – Jack Black style comedy. They made a complete hash of The Office and Little Britain. Can’t believe they’re doing the same with Kath and Kim. Did you see the episode when Kath and her husband decided to be nudists??!!!

I haven’t seen either version of this show, but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if Hollywood managed to mess it up. They keep trying to re-do great shows from Britain (and now Australia, apparently) and making a mess of it. I’ve been whining about the new American version of Life On Mars. It’s terrible compared to the original with John Simm and Philip Glenister. :)

Little Britain is absolute sh*t anyway, so I don’t see how Americans could make it any worse, but the American version of The Office is a damned travesty and I won’t let anyone tell me otherwise. I really don’t see why we Americans can’t come up with original sitcom/drama ideas of our own.

4. Row says

Oh Zereen

Yes I saw it, yes it scarred me for life :o/ I love the dynamics in Oz Kath and Kim, Kel and Kath really love each other

5. Row says

Hey Jen

Woooahhh. Life on Mars is VERY British don’t you think? I don’t see how it can work in an American context!!

6. Row says

Ey up Mandy

There are definately some series that Americans do better than anyone else – like 24, ER, Dexter, the kind of high budget, well scripted stuff. Oh I hate Little Britian when it first came out it was a revolution, now I hate it, hate it with a passion, unfunny, crude and dare I say it – occasionally racist.

I totally agree, Life On Mars is very British. I think that makes it interesting though. Hollywood did a crap job with the American version set in NYC. They just don’t get it.